Thursday, January 27, 2011

DNA results: Relative Finder at 23andme

My DNA results for finding relatives appeared late last night at 23andme, days ahead of the predicted time frame.  I have 986 possible relatives.  (None of this is definite, hence the fuzzy words.)  The closest relation could be a third cousin.  The next closest are nine fourth cousins, ten fifth cousins, three sixth cousins, two seventh cousins, and more and more cousins with increasing degrees.  The distance of the relation is not fully accurate, but demonstrates the amount of DNA that is the same in both people.  My "third cousin" and I match 0.63% of our DNA, while my "fourth cousins" match anywhere from 0.41% to 0.51%.

The profiles are anonymous, unless the participant has chosen a public profile.  You can contact only five anonymous people per day.  I contacted my allotted five and look forward to hearing from them.

This will be very interesting to see if the common ancestor can be identified for any of these matches.  I am expecting surprises.  Third cousins have the same great great grandparents.  Everyone has sixteen great great grandparents.  I can identify twelve of mine.  Of my 32 great great great grandparents, twelve are unknown, and two have unknown last names.

Relative finder results at 23andme.com

3 comments:

  1. Jody, If you are on Facebook some of us have formed a group to compare notes and try to figure out this whole process together. If you want to join, go over to my blog at http://lfmccauley.blogspot.com/ and click on my FB link to friend me and we'll get you added to the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jody,
    This detail absolutely helps; recently I always wanted to grab a 23andMe and kit. I am very interested on to know how it works for you…

    regards,
    joy@23 and me review


    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Joy, now is the time to get a kit. It is only $99.

    ReplyDelete